Devops Engineers participate in the processes of strategic product-planning meetings. In addition to providing their guidance and expertise on system options, risk, impact and costs vs. benefits, they create and share their operational requirements and development forecasts to allow for timely and accurate planning of projects.
Responsible for developing and building IT solutions, DevOps Engineers install and configure solutions, implement reusable components, translate technical requirements, assist with all stages of test data, develop interface stubs and simulators and perform script maintenance and updates.
Devops Engineers build automated deployments through the use of configuration management technology. They deploy new modules and upgrades and complete fixes within the production environment. Another duty is to make modules ready for production, which entails moving them according to specific procedures and documenting knowledge transfer.
Maintenance and Troubleshooting
Routine application maintenance tasks are an ongoing responsibility of DevOps Engineers that they accomplish via strategy-building techniques. They also help create requirements and procedures for implementing routine maintenance. Troubleshooting existing information systems for errors and resolving those errors is also a main responsibility of DevOps Engineers.
Not only do Devops Engineers evaluate existing applications and platforms, they also give recommendations for enhancing performance via gap analysis, identifying the most practical alternative solutions and assisting with modifications.
- Deploying, automating, maintaining and managing AWS cloud-based production system, to ensure the availability, performance, scalability and security of productions systems;
- Providing direct server support during various operations such as deployment and general production;
- Collaborating with developers to make sure new environments meet requirements and conform to best practices;
- Automating deployment of Linux applications, system configurations and security settings;
- Configuration management of production systems;
- Pre-production Acceptance Testing to help assure the quality of our products/services;
- System troubleshooting and problem-solving across platform and application domains;
- Suggesting architecture improvements, recommending process improvements;
- Evaluate new technology options and vendor products;
- Ensuring critical system security through the use of best in class cloud security solutions.
- B.Sc. in Computer Science or other equivalent technical disciplines;
- AWS: 2+ years’ experience with using a broad range of AWS technologies (e.g. EC2, RDS, ELB, EMR, S3, VPC, IAM, CloudWatch, Lambda, Route53, etc) to develop and maintain an Amazon AWS based cloud solution, with an emphasis on best practice cloud security;
- DevOps: Solid experience as a DevOps Engineer in a 24×7 uptime Amazon AWS environment, including automation experience with configuration management tools;
- Scripting Skills: Strong scripting (e.g. Bash, Python) and automation skills;
- Configuration management expertise with tools such as Ansible, Puppet;
- Operating Systems: Linux system administration;
- Problem Solving: Ability to analyze and resolve complex infrastructure resource and application deployment issues;
- Focus: A strong focus on business outcomes;
- Expertise in Linux System Admin and Bash Scripting and automation;
- Experience: Hands-on experience in build and administer VMs and Containers using tools such as Docker, Vagrant, Kubernetes.
- DB Skills: Experience with SQL database administration (MySQL, Oracle) and NoSQL databases (Cassandra);
- Middleware: Experience with distributed stream processing software (like Apache Kafka) and distributed search and analytics engine (like Elasticsearch);
- Monitoring Tools: Experience with system monitoring tools (e.g. Prometheus, Nagios, etc);
- Agile Methodologies: Experience with Agile software development, project management methodologies;
- Version Control: Experience administrating version control systems such as GIT;
- Networking: Understanding network topologies and common network protocols and services (DNS, HTTP(S), SSH, SFTP, SMTP).